I’ve started working with Git as part of my Web development workflow, and am just getting the hang of some of the tools. I’m still running into problems, but it’s mainly where I haven’t taken the time to read Pro Git and learn what it is I’m trying to do.
Here’s a quick overview:
- make changes in code
- test in local development server
- commit changes to git repository
- git add .
- git commit -m “Explanation of changes.”
- git push
- move updated files to external dev server
- git ftp push
- test on external dev/staging server to verify changes
- move to production site (on same server as dev/staging)
- verify changes on production. smile at work accomplished
I’ve also tried working with git flow for feature and release management, but haven’t quite got the hang of it yet to make sure I’m doing it right. Once I know more about what it’s doing, I’ll write about how I’m integrating it with my own workflow.